To understand the answer, I start by talking about how real soap is made. By 'real soap', I mean soap that is made with natural vegetable oils, sodium hydroxide (aka. lye) and no other ingredients. Real soap can be made with any kind of vegetable oil. However most are made with coconut and palm oils, because of their good properties in soapmaking and their affordable cost. In authentic soapmaking, these oils are mixed with sodium hydroxide (or 'lye'). This mix drives a wonderful molecular transformation called saponification - a process by which a fat (i.e. the oils) are converted into soap. During saponification, each lye molecule bonds with an oil molecule and makes....Soap.
A key by-product of the soap making process is glycerin, a clear, vegetable-based oil. Vegetable glycerin is a powerful 'humectant' - meaining a substance that promotes the retention of moisture. In fact, a glycerin soap bar, left out in a humid environment will actual become coated with tiny moisture (water) beads - proof of its moisture drawing power. When the glycerin is left in the soap, it makes an incredibly gentle, mild and moisturizing cleanser.
Unfortunately for us, commercial soap companies often remove the naturally occurring glycerin and use it to make moisturizers, creams and other expensive beauty products. Their "soap" is often amended by adding detergents or other chemicals that, although they are cleansing, strip skin of moisture and oils. Ironically, we end up buying detergent "soap" that dry out our skin, then buy chemical laden moisturizers or creams to replenish it!
So, it's not at all strange that glycerin soap users discover they can skip the expensive moisturizers - because their skin has never felt better! If you suffer from super-sensitive skin, you may have already heard that dermatologists recommend glycerin soap to their patients for this very reason. It has a silky, low-lather, is gently cleansing and contains no harsh detergents. Glycerin soap is REAL soap and works and feels exactly they way real soap should!
What is the difference between opaque soaps and glycerin soap?
The term 'glycerin soap' has come to mean the type of soap that is clear or transparent. This is a bit of a misnomer. In fact, all unadulterated, real (traditionally made) soap contains glycerin. Yet some are opaque and some are transparent. All glycerin soaps start off as opaque, but when additional glycerin is added (sugar or alcohol can be alternatively added), it becomes transparent. This additional step, of adding more vegetable glycerin to soap, not only adds even more moisturizing power, it also makes the soap beautifully clear.Getting back to basics, avoiding industrialized, chemical products...
The proliferation of chemicals in our products and foods, as well as the scaling of manufacturing technologies, have been great at producing cheap "cleansing bars" for the masses. They clean, but at what cost? And the latest trend in personal care - "Moisturizing body wash" - feels good and smells great. But read the ingredients label! The list of chemical compounds they contain are unpronouncable! Our exposure to product and environmental chemicals are an assault on our immune systems and result in a variety of adverse symptoms, sensitivities and ailments.
If you are concerned about this trend, then you have found your new glycerin soap company. Our passion is to create the most beautiful and beneficial glycerin soap products available. We stand behind every bar and we want to be your soap company for life!
- Eczema, psoriasis and sensitivity to fragrance: Thousands of Tamarinda customers have reported improvement in these skin conditions after using glycerin soap. We make unscented bath bars and facial soaps just for these ultra-sensitive skin types.
- As a shampoo: Use glycerin soap as a shampoo and you'll find it will leave your hair soft and smooth. Scalp issues? Some are simply caused by sensitivity to the chemical shampoo ingredients and are eliminated when using glycerin soap. Dry scalp or forehead - shampoo with glycerin soap and it's gone! We recommend our olive glycerin facial soap as a shampoo bar.
- Save on expensive skin care products: Large cosmetic brands would like you to believe that spending hundreds of dollars a year on cleansers, moisturizers and serums will turn back the clock. All you really need is a natural soap and a good natural moisturizer. Glycerin soap, as the foundation of your simplified skin care regime, will leave your skin clean and moisturized. Even your dermatologist will agree! To moisturize, use an all natural nut oil like 100% shea butter or (our favorite) 100% Argan oil. Your skin (and your wallet) will love you for it!
- For Babies and Kid care: Glycerin soap is also great for babies and children.
- For Pets: Pet skin is super-sensitive and does not contain a high the level of natural oils. Skip the chemical pet shampoos and wash your pet with glycerin soap - see our pet care section!